LBN – Tuesday, April 10, 2018

*LBN – FEARLESSLY INDEPENDENT AND UNBIASED NEWS AND INFORMATION – Read in all 50 of the Untied States and 26 foreign countries.

*LOOK FOR YOURSELF – Syria Invites U.N. Chemical-Weapons Watchdog to Inspect Attack Site

On Tuesday, Syrian officials said they invited the U.N.’s chemical-weapons watchdog to conduct a “fact-finding mission” in Douma—the rebel-held site where a Saturday attack killed more than 40 people. The Associated Press reports Bashar al-Assad’s foreign ministry says it will aid the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons in the investigation of the attack, which the Syrian government has denied conducting, and will work with “full transparency and rely on credible and tangible evidence.” Russia also said Tuesday that it would submit a United Nations resolution proposing OPCW investigators visit the site. President Trump said Monday the U.S. would respond to the “heinous” attack in the next “24 to 48 hours” and claimed that no action is “off the table.”

*Let Us In Now! – Hundreds of Migrants in Mexico Caravan Want U.S. Asylum

At least 200 Central Americans who attempted to migrate into the U.S. as part of a “caravan” traveling through Mexico will file to seek asylum in the U.S., despite the group being the subject of Donald Trump’s ire. The president tweeted several times last week as the group moved toward the U.S. border, saying they had to be stopped and that they showed U.S. border laws had to be strengthened. The caravan stopped in Mexico City on Monday and organizers said the number of people who want U.S. asylum is more than double than what they were anticipating. Rodrigo Abeja, a coordinator from Pueblo Sin Fronteras, a transnational organization that staged the caravan, said other migrants had chosen to stay in Mexico.

*Trump: ‘Attorney–Client Privilege Is Dead!’

President Trump has declared “attorney–client privilege is dead” the morning after the FBI raided the offices of his personal lawyer, Michael Cohen. Officials in New York are said to have seized documents relating to the $130,000 payout to adult-film actress Stormy Daniels in a raid the president has called a “disgrace” and an “attack on our country.” TweetingTuesday morning, the president said the raid marked the end of attorney-client privilege—which keeps communications between an attorney and clients secret—and said that it was an unfair targeting of his personal lawyer. “A TOTAL WITCH HUNT!!!” blasted the president in a second tweet.

*WHO READS LBN: Clark K., an LBN reader from Alberta, Canada.


*LBN-SPOTLIGHT – HELP WANTED:  Executive Assistant to an established Actor/Writer/Director/Producer/Global Acting Teacher. Must be passionate, knowledgeable of every aspect of film, fashion & media – driven to swiftly learn – dedicated to improving every aspect of company operations in pre-production, product integration, principal photography & post, worldwide marketing, premieres and film festivals. Great verbal, dictation, visual sense essential. Proactive and bright – able to work with actors, students, productions crews, sponsors w/deal making acumen. Organize social media, social calendar & book tour with top level PR Operatives. Social media posting skills all platforms and computer/Mac also essential. Authentic presentation, chic when required. Jump in and go. The Devil Wears Prada for film. Salary commensurate with abilities and performance. Paid probationary period. Discretion and operational project security paramount. If interested, please email your resume and cover letter to Kilpatrick203@gmail.com

*PAYBACK – Woman Awarded $6.45M in Damages for Revenge-Porn Attack

A man has been ordered to pay $6.45 million in damages after he was accused of spreading naked pictures and videos of his ex-girlfriend online. The eye-watering punishment is believed to be the second-largest revenge porn payout to a non-celebrity in U.S. legal history. The unnamed woman sued the man, David Elam II, in a California civil court, alleging copyright infringement, online impersonation with intent to harm, stalking, and the intentional infliction of emotional distress. The woman was awarded $450,000 in damages because of copyright infringement, $3 million in compensatory damages for emotional distress, and $3 million in punitive damages.

*Impostor – The Biggest Black Lives Matter Page on Facebook Is Fake

The biggest Black Lives Matter page on Facebook has been exposed as a fake with links to a middle-age white man in Australia. Analysis from CNN showed that the page—simply called Black Lives Matter—had more than double the number of followers than the official campaign page and had been used to solicit $100,000 in donations, some of which supposedly went to the official campaign, though some ended up in Australian bank accounts. CNN linked the page to Ian Mackay, who works for National Union of Workers in Australia. The account has been suspended while the organization investigates the allegations. The page was removed after CNN lodged an inquiry with Facebook, but Patrisse Cullors, a co-founder of the Black Lives Matter movement, told CNN that Black Lives Matter had contacted Facebook about removing it months ago.

*WHY I LOVE LBN: “I don’t have time to read newspapers and watch TV news so I have come to rely on LBN to get me the news and information I need fast and easy and straight to the point.” —– Megan P., an LBN reader from St. Paul, Minnesota.


*Trump’s homeland security adviser resigns:

President Trump’s Homeland Security Adviser Tom Bossertresigned, the White House announced on Tuesday. “The President is grateful for Tom’s commitment to the safety and security of our great country. Tom led the White House’s efforts to protect the homeland from terrorist threats, strengthen our cyber defenses, and respond to an unprecedented series of natural disasters,” White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement. “President Trump thanks him for his patriotic service and wishes him well.”

*Nikki Haley on John Bolton: ‘I Know His Disdain For The UN; I Share It’:

U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley says she believes she will work well with incoming national security advisor John Bolton – himself a former ambassador to the U.N. – saying that she shares his “disdain for the U.N.” “I know John Bolton well,” Haley told an event at Duke University in North Carolinaon Thursday. “I’ve gotten advice from him, I’ve talked to him. I know his disdain for the U.N.; I share it.” “I think we’re going to have a great working relationship.”

*LBN-MUSIC INSIDER:   ***Fleetwood Mac has fired Lindsey Buckingham after a disagreement over the band’s upcoming tour, Rolling Stone has confirmed. The band announcedMonday that Mike Campbell of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Neil Finn of Crowded House will replace him.

*LBN-COMMENTARY by David Brooks: Over the past year, those of us in the anti-Trump camp have churned out billions of words critiquing the president. The point of this work is to expose the harm President Trump is doing, weaken his support and prevent him from doing worse. And by that standard, the anti-Trump movement is a failure. We have persuaded no one. Trump’s approval rating is around 40 percent, which is basically unchanged from where it’s been all along. We have not hindered him. Trump has more power than he did a year ago, not less. With more mainstream figures likeH. R. McMasterRex Tillerson and Gary Cohn gone, the administration is growing more nationalist, not less. We have not dislodged him. For all the hype, the Mueller investigation looks less and less likely to fundamentally alter the course of the administration. We have not contained him. Trump’s takeover of the Republican Party is complete. Eighty-nine percent of Republicans now have a positive impression of the man. According to an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, 59 percent of Republicans consider themselves more a supporter of Trump than of the Republican Party.

*LBN-COMMENTARY by Mark Penn (Mr. Penn served as chief strategy officer for Microsoft from 2014 to 2016) : Many of Facebook’s current problems began when the company realized that people really do care about news, and not just sports, dating and entertainment. The company moved away from its origins as a way for users to connect toward becoming a media organization, carrying feeds that ranked and distributed news content. As social media distribution of news — real and fake — mushroomed, government authorities neglected to give these changes the same careful study they gave to TV and radio when those technologies were new. And yet Facebook and its properties, which include Instagram, now reach two-thirds of America for an average of 35 minutes a day — the broadcasting power and reach of hundreds of radio and TV stations. Dating back to 1912, America has had legislation regulating media ownership. At first the primary concerns were about public safety, but they evolved into concerns about the diversity of media ownership and the character of media operators. As late as 2013, the Federal Communications Commission did not allow broadcast stations to have more than 25 percent foreign ownership. The airwaves were considered a public good, with restrictions on its use and operations considered appropriate.

*LBN- A DIFFERENT VIEW:….An LBN Reader from Berlin, Germany.


*LBN-OVERHEARD:   ****Seth Meyers and wife Alexi Ashedidn’t make it to the hospital Sunday afternoon as she went into labor, instead welcoming their second child, a son whom they named Axel Strahl, in the lobby of their apartment building. “We get into the lobby of our building, I have called an Uber, the Uber is outside and we basically get to the steps of our building, walking out the steps, and my wife says, ‘I can’t get in the car, I’m gonna have the baby right now,’” Meyers, 44, revealed on Monday’s episode of “Late Night with Seth Meyers.” Attempting to keep his wife calm, Meyers, mother-in-law Joanne and their midwife formed a semi-circle around Ashe in the lobby.“ She lied down in the lobby, we undressed her and the baby was just out, the head of the baby was out,” Meyers said. “This is how fast it happened. I called 9-1-1 and over the course of a minute conversation — I basically said, ‘We’re about to have a baby, we’re having a baby, we had a baby.’ I went from someone calling about an emergency to just sharing good news with a stranger.”   ***Prosecutors will not file criminal charges against the director and screenwriter James Toback in five cases in which he has been accused of sexual abuse because their statutes of limitations have expired, the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office said on Monday. Mr. Toback, 73, was accused by five women of crimes ranging from misdemeanor indecent exposure to felony sexual battery, according to documents provided to The New York Times by a spokesman for the district attorney’s office. The crimes were alleged to have occurred between 1978 and 2008. Prosecutors said, the statute of limitations had expired in each case. They noted that the statute of limitations for the alleged sexual battery violations — two of which were said to have occurred in 2008 — was one year. In one of the cases, they said the woman who had alleged abuse did not appear for a scheduled interview and could not be reached by an investigator.

LBN E-Lert Edited By Renee Preston