*Officer Acquitted on All Charges in Freddie Gray Case
A Baltimore officer was acquitted Monday of assault and other charges in the arrest of Freddie Gray, dealing prosecutors a significant blow in their attempt to hold police accountable for the young black man’s death from injuries he suffered in the back of a police van. A judge also found Officer Edward Nero not guilty of reckless endangerment and misconduct in office. As the verdict was read, Nero dropped his head down and his attorney placed a hand on his back. The courtroom was quiet. Nero stood up and hugged his attorney, and was visibly emotional.
*Obama: We Killed the Taliban Leader
*U.S. Lifts Arms Embargo on Vietnam
*THINK FREELY – READ LBN
1. Almost 2/3 of all murders in the United States involve guns.
2. The CDC Injury Prevention and Control Center notes that suicide firearm injuries were the 4th leading cause of injury deaths in the US in 2006. Motor vehicle accident injuries were the first leading cause of injury death in that year, followed by unintentional poisonings (2nd leading cause) and unintentional falls.
3. Among U.S. suicide deaths in 2007, firearms were used most often (50.7%), followed by hanging/strangulation/suffocation (23.1%) and intentional poisonings (18.8%).
4. Males most often committed suicide with firearms (56%), whereas females most often used poison (40.8%) followed closely by firearms (31.9%).
5. In 2007, homicide by firearms occurred most often (66.1%), and in homicides of both males (71.7%) and females (46.4%). Sharp instruments were the second-most used method of homicide overall (12.1%) followed by blunt instruments (5.8%).
6. Men are not only more likely than women to be the victims of gun homicides, but they are also more likely to be the perpetrators of homicides committed with a gun. However, firearm-related death rates for both sexes have decreased over the past few decades.
7. African American women had the highest death rate from firearm-related injuries than women of other ethnic groups. Asian or Pacific Islanders females had the lowest rate.
8. The proportion of the costs for medical treatment versus lost productivity is lower for self-inflected injuries than for assault injuries. This is because the death rate for self-inflected firearm injuries is higher than the death rate for firearm injuries due to assaults.
9. In some states, gun violence widely exceeds the rest of the country. For example, from 2001 to 2010 in Louisiana, there were 18.9 gun deaths for every 100,000 people, more than six times the rate in Hawaii.
10. Since 1982, there have been at least 61 mass murders carried out with firearms in 30 states. In most cases, the killers obtained their weapons legally.
*LBN-BUSINESS INSIDER: ***Bayer of Germany said on Monday that it had offered $62 billion in cash to acquire Monsanto in a deal that would combine two of the world’s biggest companies in the businesses of crop seeds and pesticides. The transaction, if consummated, would create an industry giant whose products include antibiotics, genetically modified crops and pesticides. It would have a combined annual revenue of more than $67 billion.
*LBN-MUSIC INSIDER: ***The Ramones will celebrate the 40th anniversary of their self-titled punk masterpiece with a 3CD/1LP deluxe edition packed with unreleased demos, a pair of concerts and a new mono mix. ***Forget those rumors about Jay Z and Beyoncé’s marriage — after all the wild speculation set off by “Lemonade,” the power couple has secretly recorded an album together. Sources confirmed that Jay and Bey’s surprise album is complete, and it will drop on his streaming service Tidal very soon. One source told us, “Jay and Beyoncé were never going to do an interview to address all the questions that came up after ‘Lemonade.’ It’s more their style to respond through music.” ***Stevie Wonder joinedMadonna for a tribute to Prince at the Billboard Music Awards on Sunday night following outrage that she would be the only artist involved in the performance. After it was announced that Madonna would deliver the tribute, a Change.org petition circulated slamming the choice. Some fans were upset that a black artist wouldn’t be part of the performance, and others said that more musicians, in addition to Madonna, should be involved.
*UNIQUELY, LBN: Commercial realtor Jason Froelich, an LBN reader from Los Angeles, California.
*LBN-A DIFFERENT VIEW:…
*LBN-OVERHEARD: **David Hasselhoff is hoping the third time’s the charm after a recent engagement to his much-younger fiancée. The former “Knight Rider” and “Baywatch” stud is a whopping 27 years older than bride-to-be Hayley Roberts — who must be marrying for love instead of money after his claims of being stone broke.
LBN E-Lert Edited By Marcelle Luna
LBN E-Lert Disclaimer: 1.) The LBN E-Lert accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. The LBN E-Lert is not associated with any commercial or political organization and is transmitted via the web for the sole benefit of its subscribers. 2.) Unfortunately, computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.